Brooklyn Bark Talks

Chocolate & Xylitol May be Sweet, but NOT in Your Pup.   Know what to do "in case"

Posted by Chris Gaylord, DVM on Nov 19, 2015 2:30:00 PM

Last week we blogged about Thanksgiving foods - people foods in general - that are safe and fun to share with your pup.  The flip side is there are a lot of things we eat (or are part of holiday decor) that are toxic to pup or a kitty.  Truthfully, most kitties are too smart eat something poisonous.  Alas, many pups are too curious not to.

We checked in with Dr. Chris Gaylord of North Slope Veterinary to learn what to avoid and what to do in case.

 

Brooklyn Bark:   What are some things I should look out for this holiday season in order to keep my dog healthy?  Are there certain toxins that are more commonly seen this time of year?

Dr. Chris:  Yes, chocolate toxicity, and increasingly xylitol (an artificial sweetener) toxicity are all things that pet owners should be aware of during the holiday season.  Chocolate ingestion is by far the most common.



BBark: Can my pet die from eating chocolate?

Dr. Chris:  It’s possible but most cases are not that serious.  There are three factors that

Read More

Tags: dog safety, dogs and xylitol, dogs and chocolate